Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cool Kid

 {Project Run & Play Season 5 Sew Along ~ Week #4 Boy's Wear challenge}
I was literally pulling teeth on this one, zipper teeth, that is. I had to shorten some metal zippers, but there will be more about that later… A couple of things you need to know about my 9 year old son is that his favorite color is yellow and that he is super skinny…. (prepare your eyes for lots of yellow)
 With that in mind, I sewed him a pair of sunny yellow skinny pants (made out of polyester poplin, lined with a nice quality solid yellow cotton, the yellow poplin was a bit see-through so that's why I lined them, also this way he'll have soft cotton next to his skin instead of polyester). The pants feature 5 belt loops and exposed zippers on the front pockets… that's where pulling (zipper) teeth came in...
 Next, a golden yellow long sleeve skinny t-shirt with zipper teeth trimmed neckline and that's where pulling (zipper) teeth came into play again...
 To go with all this yellow, a bit of gray… a gray linen quilted vest with 4 antique brass snaps...

 And a crinkle gray gauze scarf. It has been my observation that in Europe boys and men tend to wear more scarves then they do in USA and they often keep them on when they come inside. I like the look of scarves on boys. There are so many different ways to wear/tie a scarf, you can have fun with it.



 And lastly, a yellow belt with a black center release buckle.
I'll be back after PR&P season 5 is done to explain more of how I made this look & how I shortened the metal zippers.

Be sure to check out all the sew-along boy's wear looks in the flickr pool.

Fast facts
:: Inspiration: yellow (my son's favorite color)
:: Detail inspiration: two different yellows together
:: Being a boy's wear challenge we are pretty much forced to sew pants & I don't have much experience sewing pants, let's see if I remember correctly I've sewn 2 pairs of pants & 3 pairs of pajama pants.  
:: And I have even less experience sewing this knits, looks like 3 items. I will try more sewing with knits in the future.
:: With this competition I wanted to improve my sewing skills, push myself & learn more… with this look I think I learned the most in the area of shortening metal zippers.
:: Font: skinny jeans solid
:: Photo shoot location: Guthrie Theater 'Yellow Room' 9th floor in downtown Minneapolis over looking the Mississippi river <---you have to go check out that photo !